Each year, the Social Security Administration makes important updates and changes to the eligibility requirements for Social Security Disability.

The following are some of the ways disability benefits will change next year.

Work Credits

Depending on your age when you become disabled, in order to receive SSD benefits, you could need at least 20 to 40 work credits. Each year, workers earn up to four credits.

In order to earn four credits in 2017, you must pay taxes on a minimum of $5,200, reflecting a $160 increase from 2016. This increase will not affect you if you already have enough work credits but it could impact people who do not.

Cost of Living Adjustment

Referred to as COLA, or Cost of Living Adjustment, 2017 will usher in a 0.3 percent increase in monthly payments for disability benefits recipients. Typically, this signifies a raise from $1,167 this year to $1,171 next year.

Substantial Gainful Activity

In order to qualify for disability benefits, an applicant cannot receive employment income that is more than the Substantial Gainful Activity (SGA). The 2017 SGA for non-blind applicants is $1,170 and for blind applicants it is $1,950.

People can receive disability benefits while attempting to work in a Trial Work Period (TWP). In 2017, months you make $840 or more will count towards your TWP. A monthly income limit is set for each trial work month and money earned above that figure is counted into your TWP.

The disability process can be complex and confusing. Along with your application, you need to provide medical documentation regarding your condition that supports your disability request. Whether it is your first time filling out an application or if you were denied and need to file an appeal, a skilled disability attorney could streamline the process for you, ensuring you meet deadlines and complete needed paperwork.

At Dayes Law Firm PC, our disability attorneys will walk you through the eligibility or appeals process. Contact us today for a free consultation to find out how we can help you.

Call 1-800-503-2000 or complete a Free Case Evaluation form.