Those nearing or who have reached the retirement age of 65 often have questions about the state of their Social Security Disability benefits once hitting this point.

Once a disability beneficiary reaches full retirement age, benefits will switch automatically to retirement benefits. Under the law, a beneficiary cannot receive both disability and retirement benefits together on a single earnings record.

When a beneficiary reaches full retirement age, Social Security Disability will no longer pay your benefits. The beneficiary will transition to Social Security Administration’s retirement program, without interruption. At this point, benefits are simply paid from a separate fund, and the beneficiary should not experience any interruption, nor will the amount of the payment be affected by this transition.

One benefit of transition to the retirement program is that your income is no longer restricted by earning limits as it was with disability benefits. This means beneficiaries may increase their income without affecting monthly benefits.

It is important to note that full retirement age is not the same for everyone. Though many believe retirement age to be age 65, that is not always the case. Age 65 only marks full retirement age for beneficiaries born in 1937 or before.

The Social Security Administration designates one’s full retirement age based on their birth date. For those born after 1937, full retirement age may range from 65 and two months to 67-years-old, depending on birth year. The majority of current Social Security Disability beneficiaries have a full retirement age of 67.

Currently, early retirement is not applicable to beneficiaries receiving Social Security Disability benefits. At age 62, the beneficiary will still receive disability benefits up to the point of full retirement age.

If you require assistance navigating the disability claims application and appeal process, the disability advocates at Dayes Law Firm PC will work to ensure you receive the benefits you qualify for.

Call 1-800-503-2000 or fill out our Free Case Evaluation form now.