A disability diagnosis affects not just the person with the diagnosis, but also everyone in the family, especially if you are the main source for income.

Fortunately, the Social Security Administration (SSA) recognizes this and provides benefits to family members under specific guidelines.

The SSD application and approval process is a complicated one. A Social Security disability benefits lawyer in Phoenix can help you if your benefits have been denied. If you or your loved one has been denied the benefits that you need, our team of legal professionals can help. Call 1-800-503-2000 to speak with a lawyer today.

According to the SSA, certain members of your family may qualify to receive benefits in addition to your Social Security Disability benefits. Those who may be eligible include:

  • Children
  • Disabled children
  • Adult children disabled before age 22
  • Spouse
  • Divorced spouse

When you qualify for SSD benefits, your children may also qualify to receive benefits on your record. Children who are eligible include a biological, adopted or step child. Dependent grandchildren may also qualify.

To receive benefits the child must be under the age of 18, either 18 or 19 and a full time student, or 18 or older with a disability that began before age 22.

Your spouse will also be eligible so long as they are at least 62 years old, unless they collect a higher Social Security benefit based on their earnings record. A spouse can receive benefits at any age if they are caring for your child under the age of 16 or who is disabled.

If you were married for a minimum of ten years and divorced, your ex may qualify for benefits also, even if you have remarried. He or she must be unmarried and at least 62 years old and ineligible for an equal or higher benefit on their own record.

It is important to note that each family member can receive a monthly benefit up to 50 percent of your disability rate. However, there is a limit to how much your family as a whole can receive, generally about 150 to 180 percent of your benefits.

Call 1-800-503-2000 or completed the Free Case Evaluation form.