What You Should Know About Supplemental Security Income Reporting

July 26, 2018
Dayes Law Firm

The Social Security Administration (SSA) has numerous rules on reporting income if you are receiving benefits from the Supplemental Security Income (SSI) program. Failing to report income could affect your eligibility for benefits.

For help filing your SSI claim and reporting income, the SSI attorneys in Arizona at Dayes Law Firm PC are available to assist you. Request a free, no obligation consultation today.

Who Is Required to Report Income?

Certain persons are required to report income to the SSA, including:

  • Those receiving SSI, including their spouses and children living at home, must report work earnings as well as other funds or help received.
  • Representative payees of adults receiving SSI must report the income of the recipient, his or her spouse and/or children living in the household.
  • Parents, stepparents or representative payees of minors under the age of 18 receiving SSI must report income received by the recipient, his or her parents, stepparents and/or siblings.

What Income Are You Required to Report?

The types of income that must be reported include earnings from working as well as other money or help received by the recipient or other individuals living in the household.

When reporting work income, the SSA requires the following information:

  • All jobs
  • When work began
  • How often wages are paid
  • When work ends
  • Changes to amount of wages

When reporting other money or assistance, the SSA requires this information:

  • All money or assistance received by family members who live with the SSI recipient
  • What type of money or assistance is received, including:
    • Need-based help from state, local or federal programs
    • Cash help for refugees
    • Temporary assistance for needy families
    • Income from the Bureau of Indian Affairs
    • Disaster relief
    • Military pension, allowance or pay
    • Benefits for veterans
    • Benefits from the Office of Personnel Management
    • Foreign or private pensions
    • Black lung benefits
    • Railroad retirement benefits
    • Civil service benefits
    • Unemployment
    • Workers’ compensation
    • Disability benefits from the state
    • Gifts
    • Annuity or insurance payments
    • Royalties
    • Interest and dividends
    • Income from rentals or leases
    • Winnings or prizes from the lottery or gambling
    • Child support
    • Alimony
    • Inheritance of property or cash
    • Settlements or awards
    • Life insurance policy proceeds
    • Social Security benefits
    • Union benefits or strike pay
    • Food or free housing
    • Money given for food, housing and utilities
    • Other income
  • The amount of the money or help received
  • How often the money or assistance is received
  • When these payments or help change or stop

What Information Does Social Security Need?

The information needed by the SSA to confirm your income includes:

  • All pay stubs, including those showing bonuses, overtime and paid vacation time
  • For self-employed persons, Schedule SE, Schedule C, Schedule C-EZ or Schedule F from that person’s federal income tax forms
  • Receipts for work expenses related to a disability
  • For blind persons, receipts for work expenses and expenses paid to reach PASS (Plan to Achieve Self-Support) employment

How to Report Income

To report income to the SSA, you may call, mail documents, or visit your local SSA office. The SSA offers an automated wage reporting system by phone and a mobile application for reporting wages for all income earned through work.

Contact an Attorney for Help Right Away

If you need assistance reporting your income to the SSA for your SSI benefits, contact the Phoenix Social Security lawyers of Dayes Law Firm PC. Our skilled attorneys will review your claim and help you access the benefits you need.

Request a free, no obligation consultation now. There are no upfront fees when working with our lawyers. Legal fees and expenses are only due if we recover compensation for you.

Call 1-800-503-2000 or fill out our Free Case Review form now.