The Social Security Disability Reevaluation Process

April 28, 2016
Dayes Law Firm

If you have been approved for disability benefits, you may have to pass a Social Security Disability reevaluation every three years so the Social Security Administration (SSA) can determine if your condition has improved with time.

These reviews, also called Continuing Disability Reviews (CDR’s), may occur less often if a recipient is over the age of 55 or has a condition that is unlikely to improve. If this is the case, the reevaluation may take place every seven years, instead of three. Earning too much income through employment can also trigger a Social Security Disability.

The Review Process

When disability benefits recipients undergo a reevaluation, their cases will be delivered to the Disability Determination Service in their local areas where they will be examined in a way similar to the original application process.

It is imperative that you have thorough medical documentation of any changes in your condition and ensure that all paperwork is up-to-date prior to undergoing a review. Claims examiners will analyze any new medical documentation in your files and may require an examination by a Social Security Administration physician.

Recipients should only fail a reevaluation if they medically improve to the point where they can return to work or if they are able to participate in substantial gainful activity, typically defined as earning a minimum of $1,130 a month. Otherwise, most recipients will continue to receive disability benefits after their review.

Exceptions to undergoing a traditional review and consequently losing benefits include committing fraud, failing to cooperate in the disability review, if a recipient cannot be located, or if the recipient fails to a follow doctors’ orders.

If you were denied benefits during your Social Security Disability reevaluation, contact our experienced disability advocates at Dayes Law Firm PC today to find out how we can help you receive the benefits you deserve.

Complete a Free Case Evaluation form or call 1-800-503-2000.