Can You Receive Food Stamps and Social Security Disability?

February 16, 2016
Dayes Law Firm

For disabled people who are wondering how they will pay their bills until they are eligible for Social Security Disability, receiving public assistance may alleviate some stress about income.

Food stamps and Social Security Disability are based on two different factors. An applicant can be eligible for Social Security even if you do not have a limited income since disability benefits are based on the amount of time worked and the amount of taxes paid.

Food stamps, however, are income based and may be available via the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP). The United States Department of Agriculture administers the benefits and applicants apply through their state. State qualifications vary, but every case requires applicants to meet specific income and resource limitations to qualify for food stamps.

Even if you are receiving disability from the Social Security Administration, you may qualify for SNAP benefits. However, due to a recent public assistance provision, more disabled people may struggle to make ends meet than before.

Disability cases may take more than two years to reach a decision. In the meantime, a state provision requires able bodied adults ages 18-49 with no dependents in the home to participate in educational classes, work or volunteer a minimum of 80 hours a month to receive food stamps.

Therefore, until a person is found to be disabled by the state, he or she is considered able bodied and could be ineligible to receive food stamps while awaiting a disability decision.

If you find yourself in this position, reach out to your family and find out if you qualify for public assistance. Even if your disability application has been denied, you may be able to file an appeal.

The Social Security disability attorneys at the law offices of Dayes Law Firm PC are available to help you file a disability claim or appeal and will advise you of your legal options regarding your disability. Contact us right away to discuss your case.

Complete a Free Case Evaluation form or call 1-800-503-2000 today.