SSD Benefits and Carpal Tunnel Syndrome

May 31, 2016
Dayes Law Firm

For those whose profession requires the use of their hands, a carpal tunnel syndrome diagnosis can be devastating.

The condition, in which repetitive movements create pressure that suppresses a nerve in the hand, can lead to weakness in the wrist, numbness or tingling, pain, difficulty carrying things, and difficulty moving your hand. These symptoms can greatly affect a worker’s livelihood by prohibiting their ability to perform their job.

Although computer work is most often associated with carpal tunnel, workers in a variety of occupations can also develop this condition, including:

  • Carpenters
  • Factory workers
  • Assembly line workers
  • Truck drivers
  • Checkout clerks

If you have developed this condition and are no longer able to work, you may be able to get Social Security Disability benefits.

Although there is no listing for carpal tunnel syndrome in the Social Security Administration’s (SSA) impairments listings, which would immediately qualify you for benefits, it may be possible to get benefits by meeting the criteria for another listing or by demonstrating that your disability impairs your ability to work through a residual functional capacity test.

Depending on the severity of your condition, you may be able to meet the criteria for peripheral neuropathy, a soft tissue injury, lupus or arthritis.

If you are suffering from carpal tunnel syndrome, it is critical that you keep detailed records of all of the medical treatments you have received. The SSA will require specific documentation of your condition and its debilitating effects in order to determine if you qualify for disability.

If you are considering applying for disability benefits, having an experienced disability advocate on your side is advisable. We can guide you through the entire application process or help you appeal a denied claim. At Dayes Law Firm PC, we put forward the upfront costs for your claim, and you do not pay for our services unless you recover compensation.

Call 1-800-503-2000 or complete a Free Case Evaluation form today.